30 March 2010

Our Day...

it started out like any normal day.  I left for work, Brody and Kurt got ready to go to work and then Kurt took Brody to "work".  At 8:14 a.m., Kurt's day took a completely different turn though...his right pointer finger got in the way of an auger.  I think I heard my dad say that one of my uncle's went and shook Kurt's fingernail out of his work gloves to make sure there wasn't anything else in there to be saved!  YUCK!  Luckily my dad was there to transport him to the ER.  After a couple hours in the ER, he went to see a hand surgeon.  I got my first view of the mangled up finger tip and had to put my head down for a bit so I wouldn't pass out.  At 1:00 p.m., he was ushered in for surgery to repair his fingertip amputation.  They were able to do a nailbed transplant from the remaining nailbed, instead of removing his right big toe nail and doing a nailbed transplant from that toe and then putting his toe nail back on (I think I was probably near passing out at this point just thinking about it.)  Somehow, they flopped some skin over from the pad of the finger to complete the surgery.  Anywho, around 2:15 pm he was awake in recovery drinking coffee.  He gets to wear his ginormous bandage for the next week and then should upgrade to a splint.  He can't go to work for two weeks, which ticks him off the most I think.  So far he is still numb from all the drugs, but not sure how long that will last.  Brody isn't sure what to think of Kurt's big ole' bandage and didn't want to go to him tonight. 

Hoping for a good night's rest for the whole household!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Bible Family..
Markie filled me in. We are thinking of Kurt and hope he gets better. Have a wonderful Easter. I will be in town next Thursday? If nice out are you up for a walk?
Wyckoffs

Katie said...

Oh my! Sounds like an eventful day for the Bible's! Hope Kurt gets better quickly and the healing process goes well! thinking of you guys!

Katie

PS - Jason says "ouch"!!!

Sheryl said...

Holy cow! That's scary stuff! He's lucky it was just the one finger!

The Bible Family said...

I think Mr. Bible is on the road to recovery!