27 March 2011

March 10th and 11th

 March 10 and 11, 2011
Days seven & eight of vacation

The 10th was a yucky Florida day...rainy in the morning and windy in the afternoon.  It also happened to be the day Grandma and Grandpa Yakey were arriving at the airport.  Riley and I rode along to the airport with Grampy while everyone else went shopping or hung out back at our home away from home. 


This firetruck was our excitement for the day...so, Uncle Frosty got stuck on Day One in the elevator.  After he was rescued, the elevator folks worked on it and thought it was fixed so my dad was brave and rode it a couple times, making sure he had his cell phone just in case.  After a long day of traveling, my grandparents were ready to get unpacked and take a small rest before dinner so dad rode along in the elevator and Brody hopped in too.  Not long after they hopped in, it stalled again.  My nervous habit kicked in about this time, but Brody was thankfully cool as a cucumber almost the whole time.  He eventually told Grandma to get his MeMe (grammy) because she could fix it!  Thankfully fifteen or so minutes was the extent of their adventure. Grandma was re-energized after she crawled out of the elevator and ready to go again!  I guess maybe she needs something that exciting everyday to give her an afternoon energy boost?

The next day, Grandpa Yakey marked something else off his list...he rode a SEGWAY!
EIGHTY-EIGHT years old and still going strong!
Grampy John zipped around on one too with Michelle and Justin.
I'm usually a chicken, but if my Grandpa could ride one, I figured I should try it too.  I started to get scared when I was zipping along and couldn't remember how to slow it down.  Thankfully I finally remembered to just lean back and the crazy thing slowed down. Kurt thought he could hop on one without a lesson and nearly took out Michelle in the process.  The lesson was definitely important!!
Unfortunately, Eli started getting sick just in time for us to leave the next day.  Poor kid was rather miserable and it only got worse.

As we all settled in for the night, we said good-bye to the Ellis's, who were leaving at 6:00 a.m. to catch their flight home.  Sadly vacation was drawing to a close AND we soon had to load up in the pirate ship to start our trek North. 



2 comments:

sara t said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation filled with lots of great memories!!! Enjoyed your recaps!

The Vonderheide's said...

How did I miss this update? Holy cow - stuck in an elevator - my hands started to sweat reading that!